As Christians, we know that the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ was the final sacrifice and atonement for our sins, and many of us have learned the historical account Jesus endured for our spiritual freedom. But far too many of us haven’t learned the significance of the shedding of His blood, and what each wound signifies spiritually for us.
If this is our victory, grace, and freedom, shouldn’t we understand every aspect of it?
The key to applying the Power of the Blood of Jesus is in having the revelation of His Blood, the significance of each shedding, and how it was given to us to benefit our lives, both on earth and eternally.
The Old Testament scriptures reveal the life of Jesus, foreshadowing His arrival, walk, crucifixion and resurrection, and even His final return at the end of time.
We can see the life of Jesus played out in the book of Isaiah chapter 53. Take time to prayerfully read this chapter on your own, and I’ll summarize verses 4 – 6 here, giving insight into the sacrifice Jesus Christ has given for us all:
4 He took our pain, bore our suffering, 5 He was pierced for our transgressions… the punishment that brought us peace was laid upon Him 6 God laid all our sins upon Him
The Power of Jesus Blood
Luke 22:44 NIV “And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.”
- The first shedding of Jesus Blood is Blessing as a result of Faithfulness. This occurred in the Garden of Gethsemane where, in His distress, Jesus prayed until His sweat became blood. Scientifically this is known as Hematohidrosis. He prayed, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup from Me; nevertheless, not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:41 b).
Jesus didn’t necessarily want to feel the pain and suffering, but He accepted the Father’s will over His own – He knew the necessity of His sacrifice for our spiritual freedom. So, this first shedding breaks the curse of indecision, allows God’s word to enter our hearts and minds, strengthens our walk with Christ, secures our purpose, and allows us to experience a relationship with God to the fullest. Amen.
John 19:1 NLT “Then Pilate had Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip.”
- The second time Jesus’ Blood was shed was when He was flogged with the Roman whip. This shedding represents redemption which is “to rescue or deliver from captivity by paying a price.” His blood is the only thing that can wash us of our sins. In redemption lies the appeal to God’s mercy, favor, grace and forgiveness for our iniquities. This also breaks of the curse of illness, so here is where we receive healing and also sanctification.
John 19:2 NIV “The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head.”
- The third shedding of Jesus’ Blood took place with the Crown of Thorns. This is related to the curse that fell upon the earth and its resources – it held us back from conquering in various areas of our lives such as survival and finances. At the fall of man, scripture reads: Genesis 3:17 “Cursed is the ground; in toil you shall eat; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth.”
In Jesus’ righteousness He took the crown and gave us freedom and prosperity. This blood shed to the ground broke the curse of the adversary and blessed the earth – we can now bear spiritual fruit and receive our inheritance.
NT Luke 22:63–64 “And the men that held Jesus mocked Him and smote him. And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, ‘Prophesy, who is it that smote you?’.”
- The fourth shedding of His blood related to Identity – who we are in Christ. This is the blood Jesus shed from the tearing of His beard. That represents rejection, shame, insult and humiliation. This blood signifies that when others have rejected us, the Lord has accepted us. Because we are made in His image and likeness, this shedding gave us the power of acceptance, support, strength and value.
John 19:18-22 NLT “There they nailed Him to the cross.”
- Productivity – this is the Blood that Jesus shed from His hands which represents anointing. His purpose was to activate gifts that He’s placed in our lives. Our hands hold many of our gifts and talents, we can show affection, bless others, and transmit God’s power of anointing and healing – a special grace and ability. The anointing from Jesus’ hands heal, cleanse, break chains, give, receive, and do good works.
Matthew 27: 35 NLT “…they had nailed him to the cross…”
- The next shedding of His blood came from His feet and allows us to fulfill our God-given purpose when we walk with our Savior. Jesus is the only way. The Lord will direct and guide our steps and place us on the path of righteousness. This allows us to be fruitful in the places and time in which the Lord perfectly orchestrates if we follow His leading.
John 19:34 “One of the soldiers, however, pierced his side with a spear, and immediately blood and water flowed out.”
- The 7th and final shedding of His blood at the Cross happened when Jesus was pierced in His side and shed blood from His heart. This shedding represents consecration: the giving of ourselves to the Lord; dying to the flesh and living for the Spirit.
Through this piercing, Jesus defeated the enemy, taking away control over our emotional life. Jesus took our pain and gave us a new heart capable of sharing salvation, and giving our praise and worship to God, even through trial. This released us from oppression over our emotions, so we can surrender our pain to God, and testify to the goodness He’s done in our lives.
Now that we understand the significance of the Jesus’ Blood and the Power of the Cross, what does this mean for us as children of the Lord?
This mean we have the power to be free from the chains of oppression from the enemy, and that freedom allows us to receive grace and blessing which is God’s favor and protection. The power in His Blood was released so that we can receive it!
The purpose was to break every curse and enable us to receive the fullness of God’s blessings and serves as our seal of protection.
In that, we became a “Chosen Lineage”. Jesus’ Blood provides a New Covenant which engrafts us into His lineage. We are redeemed; sin is forgiven and guilt removed.
Jesus Blood allows us to receive the anointing and have genuine communion with God. We can live a life of integrity and receive salvation. Through this we can begin to understand that we are sinners, but we can renounce that image and now take on the image of Jesus Christ.
Through the Blood of Jesus, we are forgiven, complete, restored, healed and free of oppression! AMEN!
Prayer: Father God, I thank You for sending Your One and Only Begotten Son to deliver me from the world, so that I would no longer be chained to oppression, but that I am set FREE in You! Help me to receive this revelation of the Power of the Blood of Jesus, that I would actively apply this power to every area of my life, Lord, that I would know who I am in You. I thank You for the blessing of faithfulness and clarity. I thank You for Your mercy, favor, grace and forgiveness. I thank You that You have set me free from any illness, and in that I receive Your healing in my body, mind and heart, and I receive Your sanctification in my life. I thank You for prospering what I put my hands to in Your Name, that I can bear spiritual fruit and receive my inheritance as Your child. I thank you for Your anointing over me, and for each of my spiritual gifts. Bless me with revelation that I would know my giftings and how I can use them for Your Kingdom. I pray this revelation will root deeply within my heart and life, in the mighty name of Jesus. Help me to decrease of myself and to be filled with Your Holy Spirit. Help me to be the image of Christ for others so they too can be set free and walk in Your righteousness and blessings. Thank You, Father God. In Jesus’ mighty and precious name I pray, Amen.
© URWM 2017
Sweat = faithfulness
Flogging = redemption
Crown of Thorns = inheritance
Beard = Identity
Hands = productivity
Feet = purpose
Heart = consecration
Please Note: All of the material (text and graphics) posted on individual articles are copyrighted by URWonderfullyMade© unless otherwise noted. None of the material may be used in any form, except link sharing and as covered by the fair-use section of copyright law, without the express written permission of URWonderfullyMade©.
*Disclaimer: All information contained within this website (pages and posts) is intended for informational purposes only and is not intended to be taken in place of advice from Medical Health Professionals or Emergency Personnel Professionals* By clicking on any posts or pages, you acknowledge you have read and are in agreement with this disclaimer and the author will not be held liable in any way.* Health concerns should be taken seriously and your health care provider should be contacted for evaluation and diagnosis. In the case of an emergency, please contact 911 immediately.*